Ladies, thank you so much for your advise about my stupid little Singer. I will heed your wisdom and experience and take my Singer in for a tune-up. This may take me awhile because i'm lazy, and a little busy. So instead of waiting until i have an awesome finished product to show you, i thought i'd just show you my progress.
I wanted something VERY simple but a little more complicated than cloth napkins (my first project) for my ambitious second sewing project. I found this really simple, free, and well explained pattern online and thought to give it a shot.
I went to my local thrift store and picked up one beautiful pillow case for $2. While i was there, i found a beautiful piece of green fabric that was sort of retro-ish, that i thought i might be able to somehow incorporate into the apron because the green coordinated so beautifully with the green in the pillow case.
Well, I started following the instructions and had everything going pretty well. But it was boring looking to me, so i decided to go crazy and cut apart my green fabric - which should be pretty simple. And after getting so frustrated with my machine, i decided i was going to sew SOMETHING, so i just cut some leaves out of the green retro fabric and tossed them on the corner.
That's about as far as i got before my machine went completely ca-put. I have ONE pocket sewed on, and the sash i have sewed on one side only. A little farther along than the picture shows, but not much!
Some day i will finish it. But right now my easy sewing project has just become sort of a headache with a bum sewing machine.