Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember...


I remember when i was a child and my teacher told our class to go home and ask our parents where they were when JFK was shot, and to report to the class the next day. And not one forgot.

When people find out I went to Columbine, many of them tell me exactly where they were when they heard about it. I think that in remembering and telling me, they are communicating to me that this even impacted them. They have not forgotten.

I remember the first morning after the night Obama won the election against McCain. He would be our nation's first black president. ha, my customers were ecstatic! (he WAS our senator, after all, good 'ol IL).

I remember the morning i decided that i wanted to commit to follow Christ with my whole heart and my whole life.

I can remember my first kiss, however awful and awkward it was.

I remember the moment I met my first best friend in the first grade.

I remember when my mother told me that my grandfather had died. I remember when she told me my grandmother had died.

I remember each moment that i got to hold each of my nieces and nephews for the first time. They were perfect little answers to many prayers prayed.

I remember the moment I arrived in Africa.

I remember the moment that I decided I would love Landon McBrayer for the rest of my life.

It is amazing, the clarity of those memories from the moments when you knew that your life was now somehow changed from that point on - even if so subtly.

I remember 9.11

I imagine that this will be the question my kids have for me as commissioned by their school teachers; "Mommy, do you remember where you were on 9.11?" I remember it exactly.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Yes I remember where I was when both Columbine and 9/11 took place and on their anniversaries it always seems like they both happened yesterday even though it has been many years!