The Sugar Solution Cookbook by "Prevention" (this link will actually take you to the entire cookbook on "Prevention"'s website. definitely go there.) I also included the link to each individual recipe which you can access by clicking on the name of the dish.
Spicy Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely choppped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 pkg. frozen corn (10 oz)
- 4 cups [free range] chicken broth
- 1/2 C salsa
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Add the sweet potato, corn, and broth. Cover, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender. Stir in the salsa and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer.
Ladle into bowls and top each with some of the avocado, cilantro, and extra salsa, if you want to.
Makes 8 first course servings (or 4 -5 main dish servings)
prep time is 20 minutes, cook time is 27 minutes.
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
This is a standing staple recipe for our family in the winter. I make it probably every three weeks. Some of the ingredients are a little pricey (ricotta AND mozzarella AND parmesan - oh my!) but it makes so much that i usually think of it as buying ingredients for 2 or 3 meals instead of just one.
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2' thick lengthwise slices
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1' wide strips
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 box (8oz) sliced mushrooms
- 4 medium carrotts, coarsely shredded (i grate mine)
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (10 oz)
- 1 container (15oz) reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 jar (26oz) spaghetti sauce
- 9 no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
Preheat the over to 450 F. Coat bottoms and sides of 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Arrange the zucchini and peppers on the baking sheets. Coat with cooking spray. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until tender, moving the sheets to the opposite over racks once. Remove sheets and reduce the over temp to 350F
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in the carrots and cook for 1 minute longer. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir the spinach, ricotta, parmesan, and egg until blended.
Spread 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce over the bottom of a 13x9x2 baking dish. Top with 3 of the noodles, overlapping if necessary. Spoon on on-half of the ricotta mizture, spreading to cover the noodles. Top with one-half of the roasted veggies and one-half of the mushroom mixture. Spoon 1/2 C of the sauce over the veggies and sprinkle with 1/2C of the mozzarella. Repeat the layering. Top with the remaining 3 noodles. Spread the remaining sauce over the noodles. Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 C mozzarella. Bake for 20 -25 minutes longer, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings
prep time: 35 minutes, cook 1 hour and 10 minutes.
this one is a bit tedious as far as the prep work goes. but it's worth it. we love this.