Wednesday, August 12, 2009

picture by fly again

this last weekend we parked in the student parking lot behind Columbine High School. It was fun to walk on the grounds of my old campus - so many amazing memories there and fun and defining years. We walked beside the soccer field and through the running track and out into Clement Park between prairie dog holes and weeds, through the dirt.

One of the things that i have really wanted to do this summer at M&D's is to visit the Columbine Memorial at Clement Park. I had never visited the memorial before and thought i would just drop by and see what it was like - i know some of the people on the committee and know that they have worked very hard to put it all together.

It was simple. And beautiful. And i was so surprised by the emotions that place evoked in me. Landon took his time reading every little letter etched in the stones. I kind of bounced around to the different elements. It as interesting to read quotes spoken by people that i know and love - memorialized in the rock wall. in the center of the memorial, there was an area that remembered each of the people that were killed. For some reason, reading and remembering each person was really difficult for me - especially those that i used to know. But it was good. I really haven't been back to Columbine or been involved in any sort of Columbine memorial activities since i left 8 years ago. It was great to go back.

1 comment:

kris said...

I love going to the memorial and the incredible feelings there. I'm glad you went back :)