Monday, October 6, 2008

one foot in front of the other


so i'm walking. I"M WALKING!!! yay. i've been NOT walking for 2 months now. So i am finally able to travel without crutches so i have my hands free also. I'm able to do dishes, laundry, cook, do my hair, and other things that being hand-less has kept me from. yay!

Last wednesday - Friday Landon, Duvick, and I were in South Bend, Indiana (home of the University of Notre Dame) for an ACSI convention (I can't drive still, so Landon had to drive me there and we had to bring the dog because we don't have any friends with a fence who could watch him). It's convention season!!! This is the craziest time of year for me (and most others at ACSI) because i'm traveling at least 3 days a week every other week for 2 months. So my blogging will have huge gaps just as it did this week.

It was great to go to Sout Bend rested, though, instead of exhausted from 4am hours at Starbucks like i was last year. It was neat to see some wonderful ACSI friends and be submerged in the ACSI world - always great to be reminded of the larger picture of ACSI. I sit at a booth the whole time with pictures of my little students in front of me mostly praying and trying to connect with people in order to find sponsors for my sweet little kiddies.

Starbucks: i just met (phone-met) my new boss at the store that i'm transferring to. She is excited to get me on the floor as they are undertrained and understaffed (sounds like a lot of fun!). I'm honestly a little terrified. I work really hard, but i have a lot of limitations because Starbucks is not my primary employment (my other job has priority!!), not to mention i travel at least 6 times a year for the job and i won't work sundays. so i'm a pain in the you-know-what as an employee. But...i work hard and i do a good job, so i hope it is worth it to my managers to keep me in their stores. So i start work in 2 weeks from today. I'm actually a little terrified. I think it will be difficult for my body to get used to 5hrs of sleep/night and waking at 3:30 again. I'm a bit scared because i won't know anyone at this new store and i haven't gone through the knuckle-bleeding team-building experience of opening the store with them. Also, i will be a supervisor at this new store which also makes me a little nervous. I'm sure things will go fine in the long run. I was just telling my sweet new manager my needs and limitations and i could tell by the way she said "ooookaaay" that she was disappointed.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Once the new Starbucks manager and other employees meet you they won't care if your schedule is a pain in the butt....they'll just be so glad to have such a fun and caring and awesome coworker!!!! So glad you are able to walk! Have fun with all your traveling. Come November and December I will definitely be in that same boat traveling around for interviews. I'm actually going to be up in Chicago area for about a week, so will definitely come visit (and maybe even crash on your floor for a night?!?! hehe)

Hannah said...

SARA!!! Please crash here as much as you need or desire! Please remind me when those interviews start - i would love to be committed to be praying for you during that time!