Thursday, February 18, 2010

South of the Border Stew

(photo by ::big daddy k::)
When I was a little girl, this quickly became my favorite dish. And when i would visit home while away at college and Mom asked me what I wanted her to cook, this was always it. My fav. family dish. So easy to cook, very cheap and so very yummy - and just as delicious as left-overs. 


I cooked this for the McBrayers (read triple the recipe) while we were in GA for Christmas and I've had familia asking for the recipe ever since. Enjoy:


South of the Border Stew


Ingredients:
1lb. ground beef
1 onion
1 can tom. paste
1 can tom. sauce
3 cups water
1t salt
1t cumin
1/2t garlic salt
1 C cooked rice
1T sugar
1t oregano

Directions:
Brown meat and chopped onion. add sauce, paste, water, oregano, salt, sugar, cumin, garlic, and simmer until reduced (about 15-20 mins, i think). stir in cooked rice at the end.

We serve this over a plate of fritos and top it with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, coconut, jalapenos, or whatever else you might want!