Tuesday, May 19, 2009

family, fun, and fried green tomatoes

we have been in Georgia these past few days, visiting family. We've been at Landon's family's cabin which doesn't have cell service or internet (which is awesome), so i have been out of touch.

Landon and i were so busy last week trying to get ready to leave: he was studying and hardly sleeping at all, trying to get his finals accomplished and his papers turned in. He finished all of his work Thursday night. we left Friday morning. I was trying to get as much work with ACSI done as i could - knowing that our being in GA and then moving to Utah immediately after our return would make it hard for me to work. I brought some work with me to GA and am a little stressed about not being able to work more. seriously....i'm supposed to feel the care-free jubilee of being AWAY from my responsibilities at home. bleck. oh well.

the drive here was longer than usual - 15 hours. we were stuck in a lot of intense rain storms and it took us 90 minutes to get through Chicago traffic at 10:30 am on a Friday morning. argh.

Tonight we are going to see the Braves play the Colorado Rockies. I'm so excited. Since my first Braves game 5 years ago, i have followed the Braves more closely than the Rockies and have claimed the Braves as "my team" (otherwise i faithfully root for all other Colorado sports teams). This could be a dilemma. Last night i even had a dream about the Rockies. I went to the opening game at Coore's field and remember distinctly that Larry Walker was incredible and Andres Galeraga was my favorite hitter....that's a weird for me to remember in a dream - or remember at all, really. Well anyway, tonight i will watch the Braves battle my Colorado boys - and i have a feeling that CO will whip 'em. but we will see. I will be rooting for the Braves.

Georgia is so beautiful. We have had a lot of rain and DENSE humidity since we arrived here, but the beauty of this place always takes me back. Of course, my in-laws have a beautiful home with a lot of land that is well taken care of. I love to watch the horses graze in the back pasture, hear the creek fall from East Spring Lake, and savor the scent of many flowers in bloom. The magnolias are peering through huge paper-ish leaves, and the sun is shining and making the brilliantly bright leaves on the towering trees sparkle as they dance in the gentle breeze. i do love it here. and the lodge is no comparison. it is an oasis in the middle of nowhere. yesterday i just laid out on the dock and tried to soak in the wild around me: fish jumping in the lake, wind blowing in the trees, birds, bugs, the smell of the grass and pond water... it was silent save the wild and i loved being alone amidst it all. i was too chicken to go skinny dipping in the lake - there is a lot of living things in that water and it just freaks me out to think of them around me while i'm naked. i have no idea why. catfish, carp and snakes freak me out.

It's been wonderful to be amidst family. I just try to soak in every minute with them. We have been so separated from the love and support of family being near. I know that this is just the way it is for most of us these days - families separate more now than maybe ever before because communciation and travel is so easy. But it doesn't make separation easy. the comfort of being among those who know you and love you deeply and knowing that you all are committed to each other forever is so sweet. Though we all live around the country - or the world, really, we remain in each other's hearts in every minute and we are committed to that love in the future as far as the future goes. This sounds silly, but the reassurance of family love has been so nurturing to my heart these past few days. I am so grateful to be a part of the love and commitment of 2 beautiful families.

We are leaving (tomorrow night?) to go to the McBrayer's beach house on the gulf coast of Florida (right?). I've never been there before and we're meeting about half of the family! i am excited to see everyone and i'm excited to eat sea food. I'm not much of a beach girl, but i don't think i've really ever been able to give the beach a chance. When i lived in Cali while i was at APU, the beach was 45 minutes from campus, and the first two times i went there, the beach was closed. The first time due to a search for a dead body, and the second time due to toxic water. so....yeah...i wasn't a huge fan. When i was in San Diego, i enjoyed the beach a bit but it was always SO COLD. otherwise, i have really only experience the beach in tropical destinations on vacation: Curacao, Thailand, Hawaii. So the American beaches have always been unappealing. I'm excited to go to the Gulf. I hear it's beautiful.

Hope you all are well. I know there are many changes going on in the lives of many of you - i have enjoyed catching up this morning via your blogs. It it amazing to see what God is doing in our lives. And when i see him at work in your lives i know that he is the same and i can trust his faithfulness in my life as well. I am so grateful that we can love and be loved by the same God. He is so good.

No comments: