Monday, March 17, 2008

Signs of SPRING


My heart has been so encouraged lately, as we have had sun here every day for 5 days in a row - wow, that's 3 weeks worth of sun in only 5 days! In those 5 days, every day was above 32 degrees. Though our lawn has become a mud-pit for our puppy and the town of Gurnee has administered a flood warning for their residents for days; i am loving this. Yesterday i got my fingers dirty in the cold dirt that runs around my house, pulling back the damp, dead leaves that fall left behind to seek (AND FIND!) the beginning of spring coming through what looks like desolation. I planted daffodils last fall and their little arms are poking through the dirt. I can't wait to see them reach for heaven and scream "SPRING" in these coming days.


Day light savings make my mornings at work longer. but never the less, i look forwad to and love to watch the sun rise each morning! i'm pretty lucky - most people don't get to see both the sunrise and the sunset each day!


I've been reading a book called, Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, one of my most beloved writers. This book is not a novel, like everything else i've read by her. It is a story of a year in her family's life where they committed to the lifestyle of "locavores". Reading about how her family became stewards of the earth - how they only bought and ate meat and vegetables (and most everything else) from a 60-minute radius from their home. As i have been so challenged to become a better steward of everything in my life (including and especially the things i consume and this earth that i have been called to subdue), i have been really moved by this book! I went to the library yesterday and rented books on how to start my own vegetable garden with heirloom plants. I am so looking forward to the growing season! I can't wait to go to the farmer's market on Saturday mornings and pull my own strength and food out of the ground! What a priviledge, to grow food for my family and to be a part of God's great power in creating and nurturing life. Obviously, i have probably become a little over-zealous about growing things. but i have just been so inspired and really really excited now that i have (for the first time) my own piece of land to do with what i please!


i don't know if you remember my mum fiasco when we first moved here. we'll see if i can learn to encourage my plants survive beyond 2 weeks. I sure hope so!


Please let me know if you have any tips on gardening or just life in general.




No comments: