Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My new birdy friends

Tracy Aviary is beautiful in the winter. Without the crowds and the Utah desert heat, the birds spend their entire days exposed outside, instead of hiding or resting in their shaded enclosures. It's a great time to get to see the birds close. 

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to "shadow" the bird keeper that watches the raptors. They are my favorite, although I'm not sure if it is because I feel like I know them better after the shadow or if I have always liked raptors best. They're such powerful creatures.

This bald eagle used to hiss at me every time I would walk by. 
Now I think we're friends.

We have 3 Golden Eagles at the Aviary. 
They are so beautiful.
All of the Eagles at Tracy Aviary used to be wild eagles until they were severely injured in the wild and deemed no longer able to survive on their own. So now they live the rest of their lives fat and happy with us. We're pretty lucky to have them!
This big boy is my favorite. Andy is so cute and smart and huge (wingspan of 10 FEET!). We just celebrated his 52nd birthday about a month ago. Andean Condors are not only endangered species, but they are also mountain birds. Just love this guy. 

3 comments:

Brandon and Callie said...

that last bird is gorgeous. thanks for the pics :)

Sara said...

We went camping this week and thought of you. In the mornings there were always cardinals flitting around, made me think of you as well! We miss you guys!!!!

Brooke Hereth said...

WOW THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL(: