Thursday, December 16, 2010

Freshies at the Bird

Finally some more snow out here and Doons and I were on the slopes first-thing in the morning. There is a saying that goes, "there are no friends on powder days". This is incredibly funny and true. One thing that I really enjoy about skiing is the camaraderie among everyone on the mountain - we are all loving the snow and the view and having a fun time together - people are pretty friendly and cool (even the teenage snowboarder boys!). However, on a powder day, everyone is in competition to get to untracked snow. I lost one or both of my skis (during a fall) FIVE times today and only once did someone stop their run to help me locate my ski. I even had people skiing around me and spraying me with snow while I struggled to dig my ski out of the snow or put it on (which is really hard to do in deep powder on steep chutes!). Even on the drive to the parking lot everyone wanted to be first. It's a pretty pathetic but slightly hysterical reality. By noon we were all friends again - all the snow had been tracked through and everyone was just out for fun, not for freshies.

My husband is an amazing skier. Maybe one day I will be good enough at skiing that I will be able to keep up with him and video tape him at the same time. So far, I am very far from this, so you get to enjoy self-taped video. He tried a new technique this morning, so I think it's more fun to watch than the helmet cam recordings. Take a look:


Here is some video of me in the powder. Gosh, I'm pretty embarrassed to share this. I'm still learning, as you can see. But I'm MUCH better than I was at this time last year.

We both returned home dead-dog tired. My "neckie" was essential today in the wind and snow. Let me know if you want one - I have tons of material and would love to make one for you too!

What a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Brooke Hereth said...

i'm so jealous that you can go ski in your "backyard". i want to come and see you guys ski!! hannah you did fine when you went skiing.