|Gillian, 4 months|
(she has the best tutorials) The first sheet I made is in the picture above. I looooove this seersucker sheet, but 2 yards of fabric doesn't always end up to be cheaper than the sheets at target. This one cost me about $15 of fabric. But, it is absolutely adorable. And I love my baby in this color so the pictures of her on this sheet are some of my favorite pictures.
I made 2 flannel crib sheets (I couldn't find ANY to buy online) from a grey twin sheet set that I got at target for $15. I even had fabric left over to put together a Sheet Protector to match (didn't have a tutorial for this, but it was pretty easy to just guess!) and a changing pad cover too. That was a great deal.
|Gillian, 1 day old. Still in the hospital|
I even dyed one of them a beautiful teal color, which was very fun. BUT it was a little rough on Gillian's new-born skin and gave her a tiny rash on her chin during her first week of life.
|4 weeks old|
I actually made 3 of these. When Gillian was a newborn we would go through several in one day. The tutorial is pretty decent. It's my favorite way to sew: just trace, pin, and stitch. I hate to measure and iron and all that kind of sew-correctly stuff.
|you've seen these pics. dyed this onesie orange|
|i love the kimono shirt - dyed it teal|
Dyed White Onesies (and other stuff)
I wanted to add a little variety to my baby's onesie collection, so dyed some green and some teal and some orange. Did the same thing to burp rags.
|made Dooney his own burp cloth with camo and hunter's orange|
These I just added flannel fabric to baby cloth pre-fold diapers.
I also received some of these as gifts. And I have used every.single.one. My baby is full of puke. Seriously is a pukey kid. Both of our moms were so surprised at how pukey she was especially as a newborn. Our doctor called her a "happy spitter", which just means that she pukes a lot but it doesn't make her mad or cause her to lose weight or anything. So she wasn't colicky or diagnosed with reflux, thankfully. She just pukes a lot.
|little Chickadees on a piece of wood from the Wasatch. How perfect.|
I grew up with a "Hannah's Room" sign on my door until I was a teenager. And I loved it. I wanted Gillian to have something for the front of her bedroom door as well. Landon and I found this beautiful wood blown off of a tree up Millcreek Canyon while we were hiking at the end of last summer. We collected it and I had in mind that I would paint something on it for our baby's room. I love how it turned out. And I love that it is natural. The perfect addition to her little Nest.
|glider. Gillie, 4 or 5 weeks|
These were the most difficult things to make. I could have made it easier on myself, possibly. I made these similar to the changing pad covers: trace, cut, pin, sew, velcro.... Surprisingly that tactic worked just fine. I love the way they turned out and they certainly add a lot of character to our Chickadee's nest (and it is wonderful to get to wash them - i can't believe how messy they get (see "Burp Rags" above).
Landon constructed a diaper sprayer for our cloth diapers. It has been a lifesaver. I've heard moms say that you don't need one until babies start eating solids. I disagree. You are supposed to soak your soiled diapers in water before you wash them. Instead of doing a soak cycle, or putting my diapers in a water pail (which is a drowning hazard), I just spray off the dookie-mess and then it remains wet until it is washed later that day or the next. The DIY sprayer is easy, although landon had a little difficulty coming by all of the pieces.
I also made some other stuff like a cloth diaper, cloth wipes, hair thingies, car-seat strap covers, etc.... but that's about it.