Friday, September 21, 2007

This week has been a fast one, filled with nothing too exciting. I've worked under 20 hours at Starbucks this week - the first time ever! It's been nice to have my days at home to do my other job, and get a few naps in after my early mornings. Plus, I feel like i've really gotten to spend more time with my wonderful husband, which is always a blessing.

Landon is continuing to enjoy his classes and he talks to me about what he is reading - it seems he really is challenged by his reading material, besides the fact that he reads over 1000 pages a week. Right now he is at work. I am in a Bible study with wives of men attending Trinity, and my husband is the only one with a job - we've heard that seminary at Trinity is so difficult that it's near impossible to stay both: in school, married, or employed - one of those has got to go! (those aren't the exact words they used at Landon's orientation to Trinity, but it's the gist they gave...)

Duvick has finally mastered the "down" command (yay!) and has only managed to demolish one of my pairs of shoes (my 2002 Z/2 chaco's - nooooo!).

This is exciting: this last weekend we got to meet, for the first time, our little niece, Addison Magnolia! Ann and Addie were up here visiting Ann's brother and we were so fortunate that they had some time to stop by and spend the afternoon with us. What a joy! It's amazing - we've gotten to see so many of the McBrayers since we've moved to this side of the Mississippi - more than ever before! It's really really wonderful to get to see them, though we miss our Colorado family. In a month from this weekend, we will meet the majority of Landon's family in North Carolina at "the mountains", a family tradition that Landon has missed out on since we've been married (3 years in a row!) and is finally going to enjoy again this fall, and i'm excited to get to spend time with family and meet our other little niece, Greenlee!

Shopping for baby clothes is fun, but it is like shopping for a husband for our first Christmas - i have NO idea what size to buy things, or what colors are best, or what would even be most needed or desired! So, in buying something small for each of my new nieces, i must have spent an hour and a half in that baby store in the mall. I was talking to the other ladies there, "aren't these clothes simply precious?" I don't think they were enjoying themselves as much as i was, but they were much more productive.

Monday morning i'm leaving for Guatemala. Everyone i talk to is so excited and slightly jealous and i'm mostly just nervous. I would love it if i were going with a friend or family member (though my co-worker, Dan, is becoming a good friend), or if i knew spanish or at least one of the people over there...but i don't know anyone there, and i'm staying in a fancy hotel all by myself. I'm excited to see for myself the impact that sponsorship makes in the lives of our precious little kiddies in Guatemala. I worry that i will be saddened - missing my African orphans - i have finally moved beyond daily tears of missing them. But i am happy to see Guatemala, to interact with the people, to appreciate our educators and school directors out there, and to play with the kids! I do love my job... If you think of me this next week, please pray for my safety, as Guatemala City does not have the reputation of being overly hospitable to Americans (to put it nicely).

1 comment:

{B} said...

Hi Hannah! I was so excited when I saw your Blog...I am bummed that you moved out of CO...I was hoping to be able to meet your husband and hang out...someday. Thank you for the beautiful post you wrote about our adoption. I can't wait to read more of what is going on in your life.
Brit