Wednesday, April 20, 2011

For those who grieve...


I wanted to share this song with you today. I was in a band in high school that was formed right after the shooting at Columbine and God really used singing, the fellowship and the amazing fun with those guys as a huge agent of healing in my life. This song is a song we would do at our gigs. One reason I like it so much is that although it was written about and for students at Columbine, it is not written about the shooting itself, but about the process of healing and grief. After moving away, now several years later, this is the only song from that year in the band that I can remember enough to play.

Brick by Brick (written by Blair Thompson)

Brick by brick, tearing down the wall
Stone by stone, rebuilding it in its place.
Mile by mile, down a dark and drifting hall
Step by step, backwards into space.

It's like pouring salt on already aching wounds
Cutting back a flower that was just starting to bloom

And Oh Lord, is this the peace that I've been seeking
Just to know that I'm falling once again?
Is this the moment that I'm reaching
Just to know that I'm screaming at the wind?

Word by word, destroying the broken
Tear by tear, stripping them dry.
More and more, finding nothing can by spoken
Tear by tear, watching them cry.

It's returning to darkness when the light was just getting bright
Already losing without putting up a fight


And Oh Lord, is this the peace that I've been seeking
Just to know that I'm falling once again?
Is this the moment that I'm reaching
Just to know that I'm screaming at the wind?

7 comments:

kris said...

that is wonderful. Thank you for sharing :) I hope your day goes well.

Deborah Fuller said...

I thought of you today.

Sara said...

Beautiful! Sending hugs, prayers and thoughts your way today!

Anonymous said...

your voice is so pretty. very soothing and youthful-sounding if that makes sense.

Brooke Hereth said...

You sing so well, i love you!

Anna said...

I love you more than you know and I'm beyond words when you share your ridiculous talent with the rest of us ordinary people in such a meaningful way.

BrieAnna said...

My words can't describe the way that made me feel. Lets just say your very talented and that was so beautiful, i have tears running down my face. i listened to it 4 times! i love you